Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Why I am not using my Windows Phone 7 device

After the praises and accolades from people who did not even have or touch a Windows Phone 7 device, I decided to try it on my own, and oh boy I was really disappointed.

I got the HTC Trophy from my source abroad and this is the first consumer unit of Windows Phone 7 device in the country. I read about the phone's inability to do cut and paste and multi-tasking but I am ready to forgive that because of the impressive user interface and very responsive touch screen.

If you are an ordinary user, then you would love this phone. But power users or the tech savvy consumers would be disappointed with the device. For one, it does not support on-device encryption, meaning, you could not access work email if you connect through Exchange ActivSync that blocks connections if the device does not support device-level encryption. With security and privacy breaches happening everyday, almost all businesses require this kind of encryption.

OK fine, I have a BlackBerry anyway that supports on-device encryption so I don't need two devices to connect to my work email. But, I saw another problem. Windows Phone 7 device only supports DHCP. DHCP or Dynamic Host Configuratio Protocol is a method that automates the assignment of IP addresses and other networking information to the device, the server assigns the IP address that would allow the device to connect to the Internet and join the network among others. This means I could not configure the IP address of the device manually and I would be violating the security policy of the office which I proposed for added level of security.

I don't care if it has no cut/copy/paste support or no multi-tasking and even Flash support what made me decide not to use it is the lack of security and the absence of manual IP configuration. I need to fully control my device and not having those two features made me feel that the device is telling me what to do. Until these two issues are answered, my HTC Trophy would stay inside the box.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi, I'm planning to buy a tablet and my cousin recommended me Asus Eee Slate 121 EP got any idea about this product? and what about Asus G53JW is good product? Can you gave me any ideas on this two products and your recommendations. Thank you