Thursday, December 11, 2008

Technological Metanoia

PC028004 - Share on Ovi


I was WRONG!

This is the first time that my first impression of a phone was totally changed after about a week of using it.

Just a few minutes after I received the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic from my source abroad, I immediately blogged about the major letdowns of the device. I compared it with the iPhone and the G1 and was planning to release another review bashing Nokia for releasing a touch screen phone that could not go toe-to-toe with the iPhone and the G1.

Then I started exploring it... and my frown became a smile.

1) Touching the clock of the device at the upper left part of the screen would open the clock application. Clock settings, alarm, world clock can be changed in fewer steps.

2) Touch the active profile just below the operator logo and you could open the Calendar or change your active profile.

3) There is a Media Bar button that could open the shortcuts to Music, Picture, Share Video and web

4) Contacts Bar could be placed in the home screen, the Bar lets you put four of your favorite contacts on the homescreen and displays information about them like activity logs and message feeds. It also serves as shortcuts to call and send new messages to these "fav four" from your contacts.

5) It has a proximity sensor that turns off the screen once you place the phone near your face when placing or receiving a call.

Where did I go wrong?

I compared the 5800 against the iPhone, a foolish move for an IT guy like me. The Nokia 5800 is not a high-end phone, it's a mid-range, touch enabled, music focused device and should be reviewed as such. It does not aim to kill the iPhone or even go against it, they are totally two different device that belong in two different segments.

The Nokia 5800 XpressMusic is about music and entertainment it comes with 8GB of memory, 3.5mm stereo jack, graphic equalizer and supports all digital music formats it even comes with a plectrum, it's like a guitar pick that you could use if you don't want to use the traditional stylus.

Again, I would say this. My first impression of the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic that it is not a great phone was totally wrong and I take it back. "Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa."

= = = = = = =

Note:
* Metanoia is a biblical term which means conversion or a change of heart
* This is my own Nokia 5800 XpressMusic. I bought it for P24,000.00 in Hongkong.
* Nokia Philippines, its PR agency or any of its employees, supporters and/or friends did not pay me to write this blog entry and I don't expect anything from them. I write what is TRUE.

I HAVE A NEW BLOG TITLED "IT GIVEAWAYS"

2 comments:

GLICH'S LIFE said...

Is the color of your 5800 red? Is it different from the picture posted in your blog 5800 about letdowns? :)

I'm confused with the colors. I dunno if the colors red and blue are seen only in the thin line on the side of the phone or are they seen in the entire phone. Also, gsmarena.com says that it has a color black, but I don't see it in Nokia Philippines' site. Haha.

Art Samaniego said...

I have two 5800 units, blue and red. The one in the "letdowns" is blue, here it's red.